[r-t] Multiple hunt bells in treble bob methods

Basil Potts basil at nlc.net.au
Thu Nov 1 15:15:08 UTC 2007

Thanks for your response Philip,

My young ringer has been experimenting with "methods" that have 1,2,3 or
possibly 1,2,3,4 or 1,2,3,4,10 all doing treble bob hunt. The other bells
"fit in". And I have been suggesting to him that the work of the other bells
needs to be symmetrical. Fitting in usually involves Kent or Oxford style
places.

The very interesting aspect for me is that I have for years been trying to
get my band at Christ Church Saint Laurence, Sydney to advance beyond Plain
Bob Doubles, and the rhythm and ropesight for ten bell ringing is just too
daunting.

These "new" ideas strike me as useful, because we will have a group of bells
who need only cope with treble bob hunt while the other bells can ring the
method. As I said before, the concept could be useful in Perth and Dublin
where there are 16 bell rings, but less experienced bands than in
Birmingham.

I will be interested in your thoughts about the above. It is 2am here and I
haven't really examined the suggestions in your email yet.

Kind regards,

Basil Potts