[r-t] Spliced Plain Major

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Thu Mar 5 09:47:09 GMT 2020

Last night we rang Don's quarter of spliced plain major in 8
methods from p72 of the RW diary.  Possibly the first time
it's been rung?

   https://bb.ringingworld.co.uk/view.php?id=1333937

It was probably the first time I'd rung spliced plain major,
at least to anything more ambitious than Plain and Little; I
suspect that was true of some of the rest of the band too.
Everything happens very quickly if you're used to ringing
surprise, but I enjoyed it and over some Szechuan food
afterwards, we decided we were keen to try some more of it
(the spliced, that is, not the food – well, maybe that too).

As someone who usually rings round the back, I like the
cyclic seven-part format, as it means I get to ring
everything too, rather than being stuck ringing one or two
leads.  However a search of Complib and Don's website
doesn't turn up anything.  Would any of the composers on
this list be up for producing something?

You need 12 leads per part, one of which could be little,
possibly plus a link method.  At this stage, I don't think I
want 12 completely different methods or every lead
different, and I'm fairly ambivalent whether the composition
should have 12 (or 13) methods with a few simple variants
(e.g. Double Norwich and Double Oxford, St Clements and
Childwall, or Plain Bob and Reverse Canterbury), or whether
we should have some methods repeated.

I broadly liked the selection of methods we rang last night,
though with hindsight I wouldn't have included both Highbury
and Edmonton, and more than one lead of Double Oxford – a
fairly tedious method on eight – felt a bit unnecessary.
Double Coslany and Double Sandringham are both very elegant
methods that I'd like to ring again.  I think there would be
scope for including another more spikey method.  Other than
Double Bob and Double Mancroft (the hl/le variant of Double
Coslany), there are no other double methods, but there must
be some other good methods out there, possibly still
unnamed.  It feels like plain major is still a relatively
unexplored realm.

In terms of structure, obviously you could use calls to get
the cyclic part ends.  An excursion of mega-tittums and back
is an option, but I find that works much better on twelve
than eight.  The other option is to use a link method such
as Martyrs Link – with an even number of changes per part,
please!  I quite like this with surprise, but with 12 leads
of plain per part, you cannot stay in the same course.  You
could include two leads of method(s) that swap two pairs in
the coursing order to invert four coursing bells and give
you 5678s off the front and 8765s at the back.  Reverse
Canterbury and St Nicholas and suitable methods for that
role and are nice and simple.  Not sure how well that would
work in practice, but the idea of composition with only
plain leads seems appealing.

Does anyone fancy seeing what can be done along these lines?

RAS