[r-t] Shortening leads

Graham John graham at changeringing.co.uk
Tue Mar 9 13:18:54 GMT 2021

Thank you for the examples that would benefit from defining calls that
shorten a lead. There appear to be quite a number.

There are always a number of different ways of expressing changes
using methods and calls. Our aim should be to present compositions in
a way that makes most sense to the ringers and conductors learning to
ring them. In many of these cases, I do think that using calls would
provide a simpler presentation than contriving new methods that are
essentially fragments of methods already included in a composition. On
the other hand, I am not convinced by Peter Scott's examples, which
appear to be doing the opposite (making something simple look more
complicated) - sorry, Peter!

Graham