[r-t] All-the-runs 7 parts using fewer methods

Thomas Perrins thomas_perrins at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 2 14:17:06 GMT 2023

During a (nearly) ringing-free holiday at the beach over Christmas, I decided to delve into the world of cyclic Surprise Major composition. The benchmark in recent years has been to achieve all the runs, although this appears to have been at the cost of simplicity and increased method quantity. In some cases this may have been the point, but there appeared to be a gap in the all-the-runs category for those bands perhaps not advanced enough to attempt 9+ methods in one hit.

I've devised 2 compositions which may fill this void.

The first composition uses only 3 methods, one of which is the musical powerhouse of Cambridge Surprise (!). Overworks, underworks and lead orders are all unique, although some line stagnation and similarity is evident:
https://complib.org/composition/104795
5152 3-Spliced Treble Dodging Major<https://complib.org/composition/104795>
Spliced Treble Dodging Major (3m - all the runs)
complib.org

The second composition is more subtle, but much more elegant IMO. It uses 4 methods, but all of which vary considerably in their construction and avoid serious stagnation (worst offence is an occasional 5-pull dodge):
https://complib.org/composition/105195
5152 4-Spliced Treble Dodging Major<https://complib.org/composition/105195>
Spliced Treble Dodging Major (4m - all the runs)
complib.org

I suspect this particular 7-part plan has been discovered before - it's a little sledgehammer-y, but quite effective at generating runs! Hopefully these ideas might make the cyclic-scene a little more accessible.

All the best,
Thomas Perrins.