[r-t] All-the-runs 7 parts using fewer methods

Andrew Johnson andrew_johnson at uk.ibm.com
Thu Jan 5 14:46:52 GMT 2023

> During a (nearly) ringing-free holiday at the beach over Christmas, I decided to delve into the world of cyclic Surprise Major composition. The benchmark in recent years has been to achieve all the runs, although this appears to have been at the cost of simplicity and increased method quantity. In some cases this may have been the point, but there appeared to be a gap in the all-the-runs category for those bands perhaps not advanced enough to attempt 9+ methods in one hit.

Interesting. By 'all-the-runs category' - I think for you this means all the 4-bell (or hence longer runs) at the front and the back, excluding runs with the treble. So, it wouldn't include all the internal runs (which there are 72 of each type), but the 4-spliced peal does have 29 of each as internal runs. If you wanted all the runs including the treble and internal runs then that is this problem: https://complib.org/issue/420  with these solutions so far: https://complib.org/collection/11202 and it seems unlikely that a normal peal length spliced surprise major is possible.

E.g. previously
5152 17-Spliced Treble Dodging Major
Composed by David G Hull
https://complib.org/composition/74080

5088 9-Spliced Surprise Major
Composed by Alan G Reading
https://complib.org/composition/89220

though if you are prepared to have plain and surprise rather than delight and surprise and not 7-parts then these seem excellent with two completely standard methods, Bristol Surprise and DNCBM, though perhaps hard to call:
5152 2-Spliced Major
Composed by Alan G Reading
https://complib.org/composition/52711

5184 2-Spliced Major
Composed by Alan G Reading
https://complib.org/composition/13836

5088 2-Spliced Major
Composed by Alan G Reading
https://complib.org/composition/52713

DNCBM and Hereward:
5168 2-Spliced Bob Major Op. 130
Composed by Thomas W Griffiths
https://complib.org/composition/78062

> I suspect this particular 7-part plan has been discovered before - it's a little sledgehammer-y, but quite effective at generating runs!
See the following for the same pattern of bobs, though as the number of leads between bobs is different, CompLib doesn't regard it as the same calling:
5040 5-Spliced Major Op. 4512
Composed by Donald F Morrison
https://complib.org/composition/26089
FIBMV3H

How much do peal ringers like runs of any four bells at the front and back versus 5678 combinations at the front and back (which also gives 1234 combinations in the other half of the row)? Also, how important are 6578s?

Andrew Johnson
--

Unless otherwise stated above:

IBM United Kingdom Limited