[r-t] Fw: Stedman linkages

Andrew Johnson andrew_johnson2001 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 5 14:30:56 GMT 2024

   ----- Forwarded Message ----- From: Andrew Johnson <andrew_johnson2001 at yahoo.com>To: ringingtheory at bellringers.org <ringingtheory at bellringers.org>Sent: Monday, February 5, 2024 at 02:25:49 PM GMTSubject: Stedman linkages
 It's time to explain how some odd even linkages work, allowing bobs-only peals.The important part of a odd even linkage is that they contain the same rows.
Just arfter the exact two-part Philip Saddleton explained the linkage allowing the two part..
I also remembered the 7-part arrangment of blocks from 1999 which didn't lead to a peal.I then tried to see what arrangement of sixes made this possible.
This ended up as  a 7/2 linkage where the same rows were used for each, so it they occurred anywhere the parity could be adjusted.
By doiing a search for blocks with say a 7 part end the parity of the number  of blocks could be adjusted by switching between the blocks.

Andrew Johnson